Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Pollan and the limited definition of "sustainability" Part 1

I've been reading Michael Pollan's The Omnivore's Dilemma. I thought I knew a few things about food, and granted, I already had a good handle on a number of subjects. But the way Pollan strings it all together and makes many "invisible" processes relate to food aspects of our culture brings a number of vital issues and concerns to the forefront. I don't want this to become a book review, but I highly recommend this book to anyone who is concerned about food, capitalism, or sustainability, among other things which I see as related, like the worry about surveillance I heard people discussing in the breakroom at work or classism.

One thing that concerns me about modern trends and efforts to integrate "sustainability" into a capitalist economy is that it tends to be primarily "available" to those who already have the greatest advantages in our society. In otherwords, sustainability as it is currently being interpreted in our society is only for those who can afford it. This contradicts every real meaning of the original definition of sustainability.

And now, back to working at "Big Organic"

No comments:

Post a Comment