Saturday, September 5, 2009

Of Candles and Tea

I made candles Thursday night. It's been about four years since I did that, so my technique needs a little practice. I recycled leftover wax I'd collected from candles I've had over the past year or so. I had a little red wax and some citronella, so I have six rosy pink candles that have a citronella smell! When wax cools, it contracts, and little wells form in the base of the candle. You're supposed to pour more in, but I made a mess and just barely had enough to initially fill the molds. They look fine though, and I learned some things for next time. I only want to used recycled wax to make my candles, so I'm thinking about advertising for wax wanted on craigslist. Anyway, that was a fulfilling activity!

The other day I got to visit Pages, a new independent coffee bar and bookshop in Conway, MA. Conway is to the north of Amherst, around Greenfield I think. Anyway, Conway is also home to a horse-plowed farm, which I think I may have mentioned that I visited with my Vegetable Production class last semester. I'm starting to have good associations. I'm acquainted with the owner of Pages, and I'm impressed with what she's started. Not only does she carry used books, she incorporates as much local food/coffee/tea product as she can... local made, fresh, non-frozen pastries that are *heavenly*

Tried to buy Orion at work the other day, but couldn't find it. I guess I'll try (ugh) Barnes and Noble.

No comments:

Post a Comment