Monday, October 12, 2009

Taking Action

As I mentioned before, Julie Graham started a Wiki for my Economic Geography class. I've just made a contribution to the section I'll be studying for the rest of the semester. You can see it here: Diverse Economy activities of Intentional Communities in Massachusetts, Vermont, and New York.
Doing the research for that felt really productive. I love how absolutely relevant this class is. But it does make me wonder a bit about why I have such a hard time doing this kind of research and writing on my own. I do love it. I think maybe it has something to do with dreaming hard and feeling like there are possibilities but they're so far away all the time. But not learning about them doesn't bring them any closer. So I'm glad that this class is getting me moving.

I fantasize about living in space I have control over all the time. It's something I'll have to drop off and on as school keeps me on it's schedule, but I'm going to start looking at architecture again. I am going to just listen to Goethe more: Whatever you can dream, begin it; for there is magic and power in it. It's alright to have halting starts and half-finished things... they are all part of the building of dreams, of taking action. And action lets me get somewhere, let's me see and others see that these are no mere pipe dreams or infantile wishes. A better world is possible. Some people are already making it better, and I am learning to be one of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment